Dr. Sprague is a clinical researcher with expertise in the design and conduct of large randomized controlled trials, observational studies, systematic reviews, and scoping reviews. She obtained a Doctorate Degree in Medical Science from the University of Amsterdam and a Master of Science Degree in Health Research Methodology from McMaster University. She became a Faculty Member with the Department of Surgery in 2014 and serves as an Associate Faculty Member in the Department of Health Research Methods, Evidence, and Impact in 2017. In addition to her faculty appointments, Dr. Sprague serves as the Associate Director at the Centre for Evidence-Based Orthopaedics at McMaster University.
- Optimizing the fracture clinic to assist women experiencing intimate partner violence
- Intimate partner violence interventions (identification, assistance, and educational)
- Improving the care of patients with open fractures, hip fractures, and post-surgical pain
- The role of vitamin D in fracture healing
Together, with her colleagues, Dr. Sprague has secured over $21 million in funding for these research interests since obtaining her faculty appointment.
Throughout her career, Dr. Sprague has authored over 130 peer-reviewed publications, 14 book chapters, and 150 conference abstracts and posters. These include publications in top medical journals such as the Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine, and British Medical Journal. Her research in intimate partner violence has also received national media attention.
- PRAISE Investigators, Sprague S, Bhandari M, Della Rocca GJ, Goslings JC, Poolman RW, Madden K, Simunovic N, Dosanjh S, Schemisch EH. Prevalence of Abuse and Intimate partner violence Surgical Evaluation (PRAISE) in orthopaedic fracture clinics: A multi-national prevalence study. The Lancet. 2013;382(9895):866-876.
- Sprague S, Scott T, Garibaldi A, Bzovsky S, Slobogean S, McKay P, Spurr H, Arseneau E, Memon M, Bhandari M, Swaminathan A. A Scoping Review of Intimate Partner Violence Assistance Programs within Health Care Settings. Eur J Psychotraumatol. 2017;8(1):1314159.
- Sprague S, Slobogean GP, Spurr H, McKay P, Scott T, Arseneau E, Memon M, Bhandari M, Swaminathan A. A Scoping Review of Intimate Partner Violence Screening Programs for Health Care Professionals. PLoS One. 2016;11(12):e0168502.
- Bhandari M, Devereaux PJ, Guyatt G, Thabane L, Walter S, Heetveld MJ, Jeray KJ, Liew S, Schemitsch EH, Tornetta III P, Della Rocca GJ, Buckley RE, McCormack R, Oliver TM, Segers MJM, Rangan A, Richardson M, Sprague S, Scott T, Agel J, Garibaldi A, Zhou Q, Heels-Ansdell D, Viveiros H, Zielinski SM, Van Lieshout EMM, Johal H, Hanusch BC, Swiontkowski M; FAITH Investigators. A Trial of Fracture Fixation in the Operative Management of Hip Fractures. Lancet. 2017;389(10078):1519-1527.
- FLOW Investigators, Bhandari M, Jeray KJ, Petrisor BA, Devereaux PJ, Heels-Ansdell D, Schemitsch EH, Anglen J, Della Rocca GJ, Jones C, Kreder H, Liew S, McKay P, Papp S, Sancheti P, Sprague S, Stone TB, Sun X, Tanner SL, Tornetta P 3rd, Tufescu T, Walter S, Guyatt GH. A Trial of Wound Irrigation in the Initial Management of Open Fracture Wounds. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015;373(27):2629-41.
- Sprague S, Madden K, Slobogean GP, Petrisor B, Adachi JD, Bogoch E, Bhandari M, HEALTH Investigators. A Missed Opportunity in Bone Health: Vitamin D and Calcium Use in Elderly Femoral Neck Fracture Patients Following Arthroplasty. Geriat Orthop Surg Rehab. 2017. DOI: 10.1177/2151458517735201
- Sprague S, Bhandari M, Heetveld MJ, Liew S, Scott T, Bzovsky S, Heels-Ansdell D, Zhou Q, Swiontkowski M, Schemitsch EH; FAITH Investigators. Factors Associated with Health-Related Quality of Life, Hip Function, and Health Utility after Operative Management of Femoral Neck Fractures. Bone Joint J. [In press].
- Sprague S, Slobogean GP, Bogoch E, Petrisor B, Garibaldi A, O’Hara N, Bhandari M; FAITH Investigators. Vitamin D Use and Health Outcomes Following Hip Fracture Surgery. Orthopedics. 2017;40(5).
- Sprague S, Petrisor B, Jeray K, McKay P, Heels-Ansdell D, Schemitsch E, Liew S, Guyatt G, Walter SD, Bhandari M; the FLOW Investigators. Wound Irrigation Does Not Affect Health-Related Quality of Life after Open Fractures: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial. Bone Joint J. [In press].
- Sprague S, McKay P, Scott T, Madden K, Tikasz D, Slobogean GP, Bhandari M. Outcome Measures for Evaluating Intimate Partner Violence Programs Within Clinical Settings: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Trauma Violence Abuse. 2016 Apr 5. [Epub ahead of print]