Overview of the services we provide and the strengths of our residency program:
- Our neurosurgical service is a tertiary referral centre for a population of 2 million people: large enough to bring many and diverse cases but still very manageable as a single integrated unit within a sophisticated centre for academic medicine and surgery and research.
- We have a strong affiliation with McMaster University, including undergraduate medical school, clinical epidemiology, exceptionally strong thrombosis and cerebro-cardio-vascular groups.
- There are well equipped and well staffed hospitals for adults, children, acute care and rehab facilities.
- Excellent communications exist within our neurosurgical group of staff and resident surgeons with mutual support and respect.
- There are highly motivated attending staff and enabling colleagues in neuropathology, neuroradiology, neurology, nursing, allied health, and administration.
- Strong programs for our rotators in neurology, ICU, orthopedics, head and neck, plastic surgery play a critical part in the residency program.
- Recent recruitment of young neurosurgeons also trained in interventional vascular neuroradiology, pediatric neurosurgery, and basic surgeon-scientist stem cell research add to our cadre of excellent faculty.
- We have close academic and working relationships with Juravinski Cancer Clinic and the neuro-oncologists at the Brain Tumour Clinic there.
- Opportunities for extra training in clinical epidemiology and interventional neuroradiology and ICU medicine are available with the surgeon scientist program.
This manual will provide you with the information you need during your residency and your Program Director's door is always open!
- Objectives of Training
- Objectives of Training CanMEDS 2015 Special Addendum
- Specialty Training Requirements
- Format of the Comprehensive Objective Education in Neurosurgery
- Goals and Objectives for McMaster Neurosurgery Residents
- Neurosurgery Resident Job Description
- Chief Neurosurgery Resident Job Description
- Clinical Expectations
- Program Policies and Events
- Basic Surgical Skills Videos
- Research Tools
- Useful Links