With collaborators located across 25 countries, we are building relationships and expanding our network to conduct global orthopaedic research. We are transcending orthopaedic care across borders.
Recent Global Activities
- Dr. Bhandari shared his vision for "Big Thinking" at the 1st Innovation and Research Idea Day in Doha, Qatar. Please click here to read more about this event.
- Dr. Michelle Ghert has been appointed Deputy Editor for Bone & Joint Research. She participated in a competitive application process and was invited to London, England as one of five shortlisted candidates. Following her interview, she was offered the position of Deputy Editor, to work closely in leading the journal with the new Editor-in-Chief, Professor Hamish Simpson from Edinburgh. To learn more about her role, please click here.
- Dr. Ayeni has accepted a role on the Clinical Advisory Board for the Pivot App being developed by the University of Pittsburgh. Please click here to read more about this new innovation.
- INORMUS (International Orthopaedic Multicentre Fracture Study: A Multicentre Prospective Cohort Study) abstract has been accepted for presentation at the launch of The Lancet Commission on Global Surgery at the Royal Society of Medicine, London, UK, on Monday, April 27th, 2015.
- Dr. Ayeni presented at the 1st World Conference on Groin Pain in Athletes, hosted by Aspetar. This conference was held at Aspire Academy for Sports Excellence Auditorium in Doha, Qatar from November 1st to November 3rd, 2014. Please click here to read more about this conference.
- MacOrtho was pleased to host academic orthopaedic surgeon Mr. Arpit Jariwala for a brief visit during his prestigious British Orthopaedic Association Travelling Fellowship. To learn more about his visit, please click here.
- The historical visit of the American-British-Canadian Travelling Fellows to McMaster University took place June 15-18th 2014. Please click here to read about this visit.
- Dr. Olufemi Ayeni joined Dr. Riley J. Williams (Team Physician for Brooklyn Nets, NBA) and Medical Staff from the Hospital for Special Surgery, as a Medical Guest during their playoff game against the Toronto Raptors on April 30, 2014.
- Dr. Bhandari “Thinks Inside The Box” with Orthopaedic Residents and Faculty at Columbia University.
- Dr. Bhandari visited the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on February 25-26th, 2014 to lecture on Evidence-Based Medicine at the esteemed Umm Al-Qura University (UQU). This visit furthers an ongoing collaboration with the University towards advancing best practices with evidence.
- In October 2013, Drs. Brad Petrisor and Desmond Kwok were part of a team visiting Mulago Hospital in Kampala, Uganda for the purposes of furthering orthopaedic surgical and perioperative nursing education. Please click here to read more about their work in Uganda.
- Drs. Brad Petrisor (Orthopaedic surgeon), Brad Weening (Orthopaedic surgeon), Carolyn Levis (Plastic surgeon) traveled with Dr. Alez Dauphin (Anethetist) and his International Outreach Program team to work at the L’Hopital Universitaire de la Paix in the Delmas district of Port-au-Prince after a 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck the already beleaguered nation of Haiti and devastated it’s capital Port-au-Prince and other surrounding cities.
The International Surgery Desk at McMaster University
The International Surgery Desk (ISD) was launched in June 2010 to facilitate international surgery activity within the Department of Surgery and collaborate with like-minded disciplines and colleagues within the McMaster University and Canadian surgical communities.