Development and Implementation of a GIS-enabled Trauma Registry in Mbarara Regional Hospital, Uganda: Is it feasible?
Principal Investigator: Dr. Brian Cameron
Co-Principal Investigator: Dr. Karen Bailey, Dr. Abdullah Saleh
Local Principal Investigator: Dr. Martin Situma
Co- Investigators: Dr. Harvey Hawes, Jessica Hogan
Study Coordinator: Tessa Robinson, MSc.
Funding: McMaster Surgeons Association
Effective trauma systems reduce mortality rates and improve the quality of trauma care. This pilot registry will provide the first evidence-base to be used to influence systemic change in terms of public health initiatives to reduce the incidence of trauma morbidity and mortality in the Mbarara Hospital referral region. The goal of the full-scale project will be to provide data for the implementation of evidence-based healthcare and public health initiatives in Uganda regarding reduction in trauma death, disability and Disability Adjusted Life Year (DALY) in both adult and pediatric populations.
- Robinson T, Cameron BH, Tumuhimbise C, Ninsiima C, Saleh A. Domestic violence is an important cause of intentional injury at Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital, Uganda. Bethune Round Table in Global Surgery Annual Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. June 2019.
- Situma M, Elliott T, Saleh A, Bailey K, Cameron BH. Development and introduction of a learner-driven trauma registry in a tertiary Ugandan referral hospital - results from the first 1000 patients. CNIS Bethune Round Table in Global Surgery. Toronto, Ontario. May 2018.
- Farooq A, Robinson T, Castro M, Situma M, Bailey K, Saleh A, & Cameron BH. Spatial analysis of traumatic injuries in Uganda using a hospital-based trauma registry. Bethune Round Table in Global Surgery Annual Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. June 2019.
- Grant C, Ali AM, Oyania F, Oloya P, Robinson T, Cameron BH, … Saleh A. Development and evaluation of a trauma registry mobile application for use in low-income settings. Bethune Round Table in Global Surgery Annual Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. June 2019.
- Situma M, Elliott T, Saleh A, Bailey K, Farooq A, Cameron B. Trimodal Analysis of Trauma Deaths In Mbarara, Uganda Consortium of Universities for Global Health Annual Meeting. Chicago, Illinois, United States of America. March 2019.
- Saleh A, Situma M, Easterbrook B, Elliott T, Sheikh A, Shikaro Kaguongo S, Bailey K, Cameron B. Introduction of a Geographic Information System (GIS)-enabled trauma registry and health records strengthening at a Uganda hospital. Canadian Association of Pediatric Surgeons Annual Meeting. Banff, Alberta. October 2017.