National standards for the evaluation and accreditation of Canadian postgraduate medical training programs will change effective July 1, 2019.
Learn more about CanERA (Canadian Excellence in Residency Accreditation).
Faculty & Professional Development Resources
Check out the wide range of sessions available to faculty and learners through the Faculty of Health Sciences' Program for Faculty Development.
The CASCaDe website is another valuable guide to the many resources that exist to assist faculty in the areas of education, research, leadership, interprofessionalism, and clinical excellence.
The LTL (Learning Technologies Lab) in the Faculty of Health Sciences is a great resource for those looking for information on the topic of educational technology. The LTL offers software sessions, lectures, customized workshops, as well as consultation and technical assistance service for those involved in e-learning projects.
MERIT (McMaster Faculty of Health Sciences Program in Education Research, Innovation, and Theory) is a community of scientists and research staff that promotes high-quality and high-impact research and scholarship in health professions at McMaster.
Performance Science Lab/Office of Education Science
Learn more about the science behind human performance and the many projects Dr. Ranil Sonnadara (Director, Office of Education Science, Department of Surgery) and his team are involved in at the Performance Science Lab, including studies on attention in education, competency-based medical education, and feedback and assessment in sport and surgery.
Competence By Design
Click here for more information and resources on CBME (Competency-Based Medical Education) and the CBD (Competence By Design) program.
- Recipients of 2019 International Surgery Desk Resident Scholarship awards: Drs. Michelle Kameda (PGY4 Neurosurgery) and Nirojini Sivachandran (PGY5 Ophthalmology).
- Recipients of Clerkship teaching awards from the Class of 2019: Drs. Niv Sne (General Surgery), Bill Ristevski (Orthopaedic Surgery), Mark Walton (Surgery Selective).
- Dr. Andrew Giles (PGY5 General Surgery), 2019 Hamilton Health Sciences Medical Staff Association Resident of the Year for the Department of Surgery.
- Dr. Jeremy Springer (PGY4 General Surgery), 2019 St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton Medical Staff Association Best Resident in Surgery.
- Dr. Mike Livingston (PGY7 Pediatric Surgery), recipient of a 2019 Postgraduate Medical Education Program Resident Mentor Award.
Effective July 1, 2019 the Department of Surgery has three new professors: Drs. Luis Braga, Urology; Jehonathan Pinthus, Urology; and, Richard Whitlock, Cardiac Surgery (pictured from left to right below). It is with great pride and pleasure that the department congratulates them on their much-deserved receipt of the highest rank the University can bestow! Congratulations Notice - New Professors.
OTHER ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
Dr. Laura Nguyen was appointed CTU Director (Hamilton Health Sciences) for the Urology residency training program, effective July 1, 2019.
Dr. Waleed Kishta assumed the role of CTU Director (McMaster University Medical Centre) for the Orthopaedic Surgery residency training program, effective July 1, 2019.